[mac4theblind] how do I assign function keys 1 through 4

  • From: Leslie Stephens <leslie956@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac for the Blind list <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:08:48 -0400

Hi all,
I was sold a logitec wireless keyboard for MAc with my new IMAC. I think it is model K750 . The function keys 1 to 4 are set as F14, F15, Control up arrow and F12. I tried changing system preferences to set the function keys to the normal F1 , F2 etc. and use the FN key for the special function assignments like media controls etc.. THis did not make any difference.

Voiceover has functions which seem quite useful using the F1 to F4 keys but I can't activate them without the FN key. It is located next to HOME on my extended keyboard and I don't have enough hands to use the commands as is.

Anyway to map the function keys properly? Why did the system preferences not accomplish this? I've already talked to the Apple Care folks without success.

Thanks in advance,
Leslie