[mac4theblind] Reading a braille file/book on the Mac

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:54:15 -0600

Can anybody tell me the best way to read a braille file on the Mac. An agency
did a book for me; they are sending me the embossed copy but they already
emailed the braille file. I'm trying to read it with my refreshabraille in text
edit and i have two problems.

1. The minor problem is of course the extra dots 7 and 8; I can deal with this
but it would be nice not to have those dots.
2. My big problem is that text edit is showing "return" at the end of each line
and these are showing up on the braille display looking like braille "mj" for
each return. Am I going to have to edit this file or run it through some kind
of filter to have a decent reading experience or should I be reading in
something other than text edit? Thanks for any help.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart