[mac4theblind] Re: Customize your Mac's battery warnings with Low Battery Saver

  • From: "Christopher-Mark Gilland" <cgilland1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:28:26 -0400

Be ware Sarah, on future podcasts, if you're gonna do like you did with the ICloud accessibility update, please please don't take this offensively, if you do, well, I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to help and be honest, please! dear God oh please! do? not! mix music in with it, or at least if you do, crank? it? down! It was w'w'w'w'w'w'w'w'wayyyyy! over mixed/modulated in the few podcast epps I've heard that you've done where you did this. Especially! the one about ICloud. You need about a 2.5DB ratio. By this I mean, duck your music queue track down about 2.5 to 3 DB lower than your voice track. Other wize it drowns out the voice, plus will clip very easily. What're you using for your DAW? Can you read your meters? If so your l and r channels both, should at the final mastered mix register somewhere in the neighborhood of -12, to -10DB. Notice carefully. I didn't make a typo. I put the minus sign there for? a, reason! I'm saying negative! 12, to negative 10. Yeah, that's quite low, but watch. Then use your take-up gain within a compressor to then bring that level back up. Use a slow attack, and set the threshold at a decent level. It'll take some playing, but if you're really serious about this, as I am sure you are, then yeah... Then for anymore compensation left over you need, move your master volume up, if you have the ability, but remember always? always always! start low, then compress, then! and only! then, build if needed. Today we live in a 32 bit world, so it isn't like it was in the days of 8 and 16 bit where you had to run the analog signal really hot just to get anything accomplished. OK, if you wanna get technical, the signal going into a DAW always is gonna start at an analog point, but that's for another discussion entirely. LOL!

Just a few suggestions. Watch the clipping though. It's made it very difficult for me honestly to listen to your podcasts, as they're a bit earpiercing on the volume level, which is a shame, as you're an excellent presentor, and i have gotten a crapload of good help from you on list, and! from the podcasts.

Take care.

Chris.