Re: Where do I send the Paypal to support the Group

  • From: Evan Wies <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:59:25 -0500

On 12/12/14 11:51 PM, Joe Ellsworth wrote:
Thanks demetri. Your suggestions are appreciated. You are right I am not a lua jit expert but I do appreciate the feedback and advice. The response times are in seconds. I averaged results across runs so I don't think a few 100ms will make a material difference.

I have been dabbling with FFI to use externally allocated arrays intending to bypass some of the limits imposed by the Lua GC. The results are promising but not yet conclusive. A draft version is at: http://bayesanalytic.com/access-extra-memory-from-lua-jit/ I will l update as I improve the Lua code. The big issue right is that I still have not successfully allocated memory beyond 4 Gig even using the ffi.C.malloc(). Please do send me your suggestions for improvements and I will add them to the article. Let me know if you want attribution.
It's strange to me that you cannot allocate large amounts of memory with ff.C.malloc. How is it failing? Can you do it with a simple C program? It shouldn't be that different.

Here's some tools/note I use for dealing with both large memory management and <2GB limitations. It's not perfect (you can still get bit by sudden out-of-memory as others have pointed out), but still quite useful. I note from your (great) blog posts that you use Windows; I've only used all this stuff in Linux and OSX.

https://github.com/neomantra/luajit-jemalloc
https://github.com/neomantra/lds
https://gist.github.com/neomantra/9122165

Regards,