Re: Projects I may be willing to sponsor

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1412@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:27:06 +0100

Joe Ellsworth wrote:
> What I really want is a patch that will allow me to use 40 gig of
> FFI allocations on a server that contains 80 Gig of Ram.

local x = ffi.cast("double *", ffi.C.malloc(40*2LL^30))

But, yes ... you need to manually manage the memory. There's
simply no way to get reliable, performant and automatic memory
management under these constraints.

[Ask the Java people about the horrendous things they need to do
to work around the 'best of their class' garbage collectors for
huge memory loads.]