Re: Terra : "Lua" can be as fast as C

  • From: Alek Paunov <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Zach Devito <zdevito@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 03:45:42 +0300

Hi Zach,

Sorry for being rude. I missed the fact that Terra have been developed as grad students project.

My frustration was because of few common signs (turns out misinterpreted by me) with the works described here:

http://zef.me/3765/changing-the-world-one-paper-at-a-time

Good luck on the conference! I hope that in the future Terra will somehow build on the popularization and development of the underlying projects too.

Regards,
Alek

P.S. My note about the mailing lists was more about the lack of the traditional announcement.

On 26.05.2013 00:56, Zach Devito wrote:
Hi list,

Sorry to give the impression that I am not following the discussion here. I
was just trying to respect Mike's wishes that the discussion about Terra
stay off the LuaJIT mailing list ("...Please use that one for any
discussions").

I agree that the acknowledgement's section is a bit silly. Those
acknowledgments are all required to be in the paper by the riders of
various grants funding students who helped work on Terra, and we were
limited to 11 pages. As grad student, we don't make any additional money
due to having multiple grants, and those grants are not unique to the Terra
project, just the list of the ones funding people who helped out on the
project.

I certainly appreciate the work of Roberto, Mike, Chris and the other
developers who create LuaJIT, Lua, and LLVM. As you note, Terra is a very
small project compared to these other systems and wouldn't have been
possible without them.  We tried to cite their work on the design and
implementation of features important to Terra as much as possible
throughout the paper.

Zach

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Alek Paunov <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 25.05.2013 21:40, John Abrahamsen wrote:

In my opinion that falls outside the scope and mission of Lua. If my
target were to compile to mcode...

But their targets are significantly different/specific - GPU offloading
and alike. Please read at least their paper abstract:

http://terralang.org/**publications.html<http://terralang.org/publications.html>

Their choice of Lua as clean base language for the required LLVM frontend
is probably the path, which most of the people here would get in that
direction (macro enhanced runtime specialization). The employing of the
LuaJIT FFI goodness as driving horse for the hard work of the mixed
execution is perfectly natural choice too. All good so far.

What's driving me crazy is the Acknowledgments paragraph in the above
paper:

"This work has been supported by the DOE Office of Science ASCR in the
ExMatEx and ExaCT Exascale Co-Design Centers, program manager Karen Pao;
DARPA Contract No. HR0011-11-C-0007; and the Stanford Pervasive Parallelism
Lab (supported by Oracle, AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA)."

I am sure that the budget of this relatively thin layer on top of LuaJIT,
Lua and LLVM exceeds at least several times the year budget of LuaJIT
itself.

And what - no proper credits, not a single message from the authors in
both Lua lists, not even properly spelled link to the LuaJIT site. Sad
world :-(.

As the host of this list already said, for all further curiosity, their
list is here:

https://mailman.stanford.edu/**pipermail/terralang/2013-May/**thread.html<https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/terralang/2013-May/thread.html>