Re: Terra : "Lua" can be as fast as C

  • From: Simon Heath <icefoxen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 11:10:23 -0700

Excerpts from Michael Gogins's message of 2013-05-25 10:03:37 -0700:
> Assuming -- for the sake of argument -- that LuaJIT runs about as fast as
> optimized C, and that it will run all required programs, then what would be
> the advantage of a statically typed and compiled Lua? Perhaps there might
> be some advantage to achieving more correct programs with static typing,
> but otherwise it's just adding an unnecessary step...

I'm no expert, but from reading this list it does appear that there
are a number of (usually-unimportant) gotchas and caveats associated
with using LuaJIT.  These usually seem to exist because the runtime
has to have a certain design; static typing might make it easier to
work around such constraints.

But I don't actually know much about the internals of either system,
just some background on the subject.

Simon