Re: Terra : "Lua" can be as fast as C

  • From: Alek Paunov <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 22:52:57 +0300

On 25.05.2013 21:40, John Abrahamsen wrote:
In my opinion that falls outside the scope and mission of Lua. If my target
were to compile to mcode...

But their targets are significantly different/specific - GPU offloading and alike. Please read at least their paper abstract:

http://terralang.org/publications.html

Their choice of Lua as clean base language for the required LLVM frontend is probably the path, which most of the people here would get in that direction (macro enhanced runtime specialization). The employing of the LuaJIT FFI goodness as driving horse for the hard work of the mixed execution is perfectly natural choice too. All good so far.

What's driving me crazy is the Acknowledgments paragraph in the above paper:

"This work has been supported by the DOE Office of Science ASCR in the ExMatEx and ExaCT Exascale Co-Design Centers, program manager Karen Pao; DARPA Contract No. HR0011-11-C-0007; and the Stanford Pervasive Parallelism Lab (supported by Oracle, AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA)."

I am sure that the budget of this relatively thin layer on top of LuaJIT, Lua and LLVM exceeds at least several times the year budget of LuaJIT itself.

And what - no proper credits, not a single message from the authors in both Lua lists, not even properly spelled link to the LuaJIT site. Sad world :-(.

As the host of this list already said, for all further curiosity, their list is here:

https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/terralang/2013-May/thread.html