RE: Socket library?

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 04:57:39 +0000

Sorry if my words sound dismissive.  Not the intention.

Here's a perspective.

If you are a developer that requires certain stuff to be available to run your
app, you better include it with your app.

For example, if you depend on LuaJIT HEAD, then having beta 9 available on the
machine will not do you much good.  This might cause even further user
confusion if:
1) There's no reliable way of checking the version that's already on the
machine for the features you require.
2) There's no package management system to bring things up to date.

Even if there were package management, what's to say that bringing things up to
date won't break some other app that actually depends on the older version that
was there.

Luvit.exe is a great example/solution.  You get a particular version as a .exe,
it's small enough to include with your app.

Same with node.exe.  I have one app that depends on 0.6.19, and would totally
break with the 8/9 series.

So, just something to think about.  Package installs are great, particularly if
they come with a release.  I like the ease with which I can install node 0.6.19
instead of having to compile it from scratch.  I'll love the same about having
LuaJIT available for easy apt-get installation.  It might not be the ultimate
solution for specific scenarios though.

-- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.