[lit-ideas] Re: voting

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 18 Oct 2004 15:26:38 PDT

>Balloting by mail is under way in Oregon, the only state in the nation that has
done away with polling booths altogether."<

It hasn't begun quite yet--the ballots were just sent out by the Secretary of
State's office on Friday. At least we're voting with paper ballots. As in other
states, the counties determine the form of the ballot. Ours are punch cards.

I miss the camraderie and the Norman Rockwell gravity of the polling places with
their patriotic bunting and their little rituals--one worker announcing that a
person had voted, another checking off the name, etc.

One can, of course, send in one's ballot as soon as it's filled out, which also
means the ballots are stored until election day. (I _think_ it means that;
possibly they're counted as they come in so some election officials have a heavy
private knowledge.)

Robert Paul
Reed College