[lit-ideas] Re: "the space of reasons" from Morc Huck Pump

  • From: "William Ball" <ballnw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:06:18 -0400

Maybe a successful argument needs reason plus a dash of rhetorical
flourish? Like the Gettysburg Address?
(But always in the simple style) Argue through logic, persuade through
rhetoric? Sort of a HillaryOboma Combo?
Should we reread Plato's "Protagoras''" and "Gorgias" before we proceed?
Or should we look today for an
 unassuming Adlai Stevenson (Perhaps tjhe best president we never had?)?

I recall an advisor to Stevenson who begged him to make a mistake in
grammar occasionally.
Should we look for one of those? No, we already have a leader of the
free world who makes plenty of them.
Enuf.

William Ball, up here letting the squirrels live and pondering the
future for our kids in the nucular age