[lit-ideas] Re: pronouncing philosophers

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:01:40 +0900

In Japanese as (I believe I saw Teemu say this) in Finnish, vowel
length is phonemic. Thus, for example, "biru" means "building."
"Biiru" means "beer." Not hearing the difference can be embarassing;
thus, for example, the apochryphal case of the young American who
thought he was introducing himself as, "Shacho no komon" (the
president's advisor) when what popped out of his mouth was "Shacho no
koomon" (the president's rectum).

Cheers,

John

--