[lit-ideas] Re: pronouncing philosophers

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:35:32 -0800

On Mar 23, 2006, at 2:41 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

I (here on the West Coast) pronounce 'ammunition' am-yoo-nishun, although I think that other regional dialects (David Ritchie might know) would have it am-un-ition, where 'un' is like the 'un' in 'unappetizing,'

The only person I can hear saying this in the echo archive of my mind, is the lead character in "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'em," a comedy Judy and others may recall.

Here's the scoop:

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/somemothers/somemothers.htm

Why an accent clearly intended to be funny should, somewhere in America, be thought normal is too touchy a subject for me to touch.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon