[lit-ideas] Re: pronouncing philosophers

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:41:23 -0800

Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:

The part that anglophones have trouble with is the
double vowel, ee in this case. Not e as in teen, but e
as in Tate or Kate, just stretch the vowel e a bit.
French would spell it té as in sauté. I can't think of
an English word where tee is pronounced the same way
although I've heard guarantee pronounced like that by
Brits. Mu as in ammunition and not as in Munich.

I (here on the West Coast) pronounce 'ammunition' am-yoo-nishun, although I think that other regional dialects (David Ritchie might know) would have it am-un-ition, where 'un' is like the 'un' in 'unappetizing,' etc. 'Munich,' and 'München' are roughly, in my mind's ear, like moon (not myoon). Anyway, I did my best, and had this Teemu not had such a soft voice maybe I'd have gotten it exactly right.

Would that Helsinki U guy by any chance be the same
namesake that did a suprisingly good thesis on
masturbation? Just wondering how it went down on over
here if he still at it.

Um, still at what…?

I doubt it was the same person. The paper was called 'The Passions that Rule,' which sounds more exciting than it was. (It was an attempt to show that 'conativism' was a more adequate theory of how emotions are entangled with reason in evaluative judgments than was 'cognitivism.')
I hadn't heard of the thesis on masturbation, but that would be a very tame topic at an APA meeting these days.

Robert Paul
Reed College