[lit-ideas] pronouncing philosophers

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:09:02 -0800

The Pacific Division of the American Philosophical Association is
meeting at the Portland Hilton, today through Saturday.

This afternoon I went over to chair a session (on 'moral psychology'),
which consisted of one paper and one respondent. The paper was given by
a young man from the University of Helsinki, who is spending the year at
the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. His first name is Teemu. Of course, I had to introduce him, and of course I realized I didn't know how to pronounce 'Teemu,' which name I've been seeing on this list for years now and as it turns out silently mispronouncing.

That isn't the end of the matter. Even after several rehearsals I wasn't sure how to pronounce 'Teemu,' and I'm still not—although I no longer think it rhymes with tea-moo.

Yours in international understanding,

Robert Paul
Reed College