[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:17:30 -0500

<<power may be an aphrodisiac, but so is powerlessness.  Not just in my
opinion, it's the basis behind the younger woman syndrome (or younger man).
Someone significantly younger is likely to be less experienced, easily
impressed, etc.  Sexy and young (i.e., powerless) go together.>>

'Scuse, please, but doesn't this (the notion of the powerlessness of
experience, being easily impressed, thus sexy) actually hand that young one
a good degree of power?  Whether or not th young one is aware of it.  So is
power in the eye of the one who believes him/herself powerful or in the eye
of the one who believes the other to be powerful (or not).

I think I said that power is sexy.  I should have been more careful in my
wording.  The issue of power is, it seems to me, inextricably intercalated
with sexuality.  Some may find power more enticing than powerlessness, some
vice versa, but I'm betting there is a fairly decent combination in all of
us.  Perhaps what I mean to say is that a fair amount of what sexuality is
about involves attitudes about power.  Or reflects feelings about power.  Or
something.  Okay.  Now I have to go figure out what I actually think about
this.  I'll get back to y'all if it turns out that there is anything I
really do think about it.

<sigh> -- nothing like knowing one's own mind..

Julie Krueger