[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:22:37 -0700 (PDT)

Each story is of the fill in the blanks variety.  Mother issues, father issues,
sibling issues...  In the end, all 6.7 billion of us are the same in our
different ways.  Scary, yet liberating too.

From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 6:17 PM

<<power may be an aphrodisiac, but so is powerlessness.  Not just in my
opinion, it's the basis behind the younger woman syndrome (or younger man)..
Someone significantly younger is likely to be less experienced, easily
impressed, etc.  Sexy and young (i.e., powerless) go together.>>
'Scuse, please, but doesn't this (the notion of the powerlessness of
experience, being easily impressed, thus sexy) actually hand that young one a
good degree of power?  Whether or not th young one is aware of it.  So is power
in the eye of the one who believes him/herself powerful or in the eye of the
one who believes the other to be powerful (or not).

I think I said that power is sexy.  I should have been more careful in my
wording.  The issue of power is, it seems to me, inextricably intercalated with
sexuality.  Some may find power more enticing than powerlessness, some vice
versa, but I'm betting there is a fairly decent combination in all of us.
Perhaps what I mean to say is that a fair amount of what sexuality is about
involves attitudes about power.  Or reflects feelings about power.  Or
something.  Okay.  Now I have to go figure out what I actually think about
this.  I'll get back to y'all if it turns out that there is anything I really
do think about it.

<sigh> -- nothing like knowing one's own mind..

Julie Krueger