[lit-ideas] numbers

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:13:56 +0100 (BST)

David writes:

Robert asks, What is a number?

and I answer, numbers are a way to keep track of how many items we have.
Originally for counting it turned out they could also be used for measuring how
much we have and for dividing what we have into fractions. Later still, numbers
were used for sequencing and coding. Now they are used to represent
information. And I think I should be pedantic and say there is a difference
between a number which is an abstract tally and a numeral which is the
notational sign that represents it.

As a tourist in the land of numerals, I take it , then, that numbers are the
deep structure of specific numeric utterances ("numerals"), and that we may
deduce numbers from numerals, but that numerals rely on numbers for concrete
articulation?

Are numerals then dependent on numbers for their being?

phatic