[lit-ideas] numbers

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:30:01 -0600 (MDT)

Robert asks, What is a number?

and I answer, numbers are a way to keep track of how many items we have. Originally for counting it turned out they could also be used for measuring how much we have and for dividing what we have into fractions. Later still, numbers were used for sequencing and coding. Now they are used to represent information. And I think I should be pedantic and say there is a difference between a number which is an abstract tally and a numeral which is the notational sign that represents it.

Now what philosophical whammy are you going to lay on me?

David Savory