[lit-ideas] Re: medical jargon

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:59:17 -0500

> A poet AND a goddamned crack-showing fridge man.

Yes, the crack still cracks 'em up.  I try to wear shirts long enough to
cover it during any squat or bend, but there's no shirt on earth made that
long.   I often hear people tittering behind me, but I know that even
something as ugly as a man's hairy ass is in it's unique way a reminder to
us all of God's glory.  And so I have stopped being embarrassed by the
wisecracks and the cackles because I know that God, too, sometimes has to
bend over and that when he does the whole Halleluiah chorus turns into a
guffaw of coarse yahoos.

A tech I used to work with told the story about working in an office
building when a woman who worked there asked him:  "When did you get out of
prison?"  "What?" he said, "I've never been to prison."  "Really?" she said,
"I thought all you guys learned that trade in prison."   Well, not me.  I
learned it when I was a restaurant manager with a company that owned four
restaurants.  The maintenance man quit and I asked if I could have the job.
Sure, they said.  I'd never owned a screwdriver before then.  "Take
advantage of fools", has always been my motto, and if they were foolish
enough to let me do something I knew nothing about, well then, God bless
'em.  The rest is a history of crack addiction.

Mike Geary
cracking down
in Memphis