[lit-ideas] Re: medical jargon

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:46:39 -0500

> The problem was the opposite: it
> seemed to me to be defrosting too often (the fridge part, too), but I
> bet it is one of your worst case ones --

Ah ha!  Yes, you've got a sick dog there, Lady.  It's probably your
compressor overheating and cutting off on an internal overload.  That could
be due to a very dirty condenser coil or a seized fan motor -- that's
assuming the condenser coil is beneath the unit and cooled with a small fan
rather than a static coil on the back of the unit.  But usually there's very
little cooling if that's the case.  If the box pulls down to temp, then
starts warming up, more likely you have a very small electrical short across
the compressor motor coil that's causing the compressor to overheat after
running for a little while.  You would need a megohmmeter to verify that.
If that's the case, kill the dog and get a puppy from the pound.  They do
have dog pounds in England, don't they?

God it's fun to show off.  Call on me, teacher!  Call on me!

Mike Geary
Memphis