[lit-ideas] Re: kid camps & passion

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:52:33 -0400

 Hi,
I responded off-list to Julie as soon as I read her first post <g> as it
disturbed me so much! (I'm at a conference in Chicago and so have been not able
to read mail until today...)

What I basically said to her was that she was a much more 'forgiving' mom than
I am <g>.  I would have called that camp up and fussed at them. I would have
driven down and picked my child up. I would have called other parents of kids I
knew attending and made sure that they knew that The Passion of Christ was
being shown without *written* parental permission. (and, believe me, if a
secular group had shown any sort of movie with that sort of gore, even if
without any religious overtone to it, the parents of the kids who attended that
camp would have been furious!)

and that was just in response to the movie issue. <g>

Julie and I do parent alot alike--but I fear that I am what my son and his
friends all call me: Mother Bear Protecting the Young. (which works out well
when they need protection--and they also get told and explained reasons why/why
not for things to happen...which is [I think] Julie's method which is pretty
grand and which I respect and try to model my parenting after...though our kids
are slightly different so maybe we vary based on adapting to their
personalities...)

Like Stan, I think if she *really* wanted to go to the camp for the G stuff, I
think next time a deeper search for an inter-faith sort of camp would be what I
would look for...and if it was because of the social relationships of her
friends, I think I would have tried to see if any of them were going to a
different sort of camp (there are, of course, zillions of them around...)

It IS hard because that age group is into being more independent and wants to
break away and be trusted...and it is hard when you can trust THEM but not the
adults that are in their lives.

I can believe that there is a PG-13 version 'out there'. There ARE lots of
people who have problems with the violence in the movie and though one surely
is aware that Mel Gibson did the movie because of his personal beliefs, let's
face it--the man also wanted to make $$ and there is another audience that will
purchase the movie if there is a toning down of the violence...

Still in Chicago,
Marlena in Missouri