[lit-ideas] Re: "Why the Bad Must Always Attack the Good"

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:28:54 -0400

I shouldn't really presume to answer for Eric, but I'm intrigued that your answer takes the form of defending Salieri against the 'bad' label. I don't think Eric was speaking of their music or their personalities (and from this distance what else is there to like or not?). There's just something about the light of Mozart that dragged in its wake, the darkness of Salieri. Perhaps it has to do with balance. Perhaps with the nature of opposites. Or perhaps merely with our perception -- our very human will to see (or even impose) organization. We don't like it when the other shoe doesn't drop.

As for Mozart himself, he seems to have carried his own darkness with him as well. And Salieri surely carried his own light. Perhaps the world is like a huge fractal and this 'doubleness' is just it's signature.

Ursula,
seeing double in North Bay

Michael Chase wrote:

Le 25 juin 05, à 13:03, Eric Yost a écrit :

"God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)

Cain slew Abel and Seth knew not why
For if the children of Israel were supposed
  to multiply
Then why must any of the children die?

_____

Philo Judaeus, the great Alexandrian syncretist, wrote a fine piece on
this called, if I remember correctly, "Why the Bad Must Always Attack
the Good."

Cain gives God a poor offering and Abel doesn't so Cain must attack him.
  Archimedes doesn't want to stop thinking about geometry so the
drunken Roman soldier kills him. Mozart activates Salieri.

The universe seems configured so that if you create something
beautiful, something arises to disfigure it. If you create a beautiful
garden with a fountain and rose arbors, some cretin has to buy a parcel
of land next to it and use it to store rusting car bodies.

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Yes, but why? Precisely
because it was a paradise. The existence of the paradise pulled the
parking lot into existence.

Anyone else notice this phenomena at work in the universe?

M.C. Not really. For without wanting to plunge into the fetid miasmas of Relativism, I must admit that I often have a pretty hard time telling the distance between the good and the bad. Mozart good, Salieri bad : really? I kind of like Salieri, actually.

Might good and bad be - to *some* extent at any rate - a matter of perspective?

    Best, Mike

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76