[lit-ideas] Re: "Why the Bad Must Always Attack the Good"

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:40:41 -0400

MC: Metaphorically, then, we could say that the mediocre and the better are in constant conflict: the mediocre tends to win battles (= temporary celebrity), the better tends to win the war (= perennial glory). But is that really any different than to say that tastes change?

EY: Made me think of the way Milan Kundera treated celebrity and glory in his novel _Immortality_. He writes about immortality (in the sense of artistic or philosophical celebrity and glory) as "things disappearing into their own images." (Hemingway and Goethe, for example, have a very amiable discussion in heaven.)

So maybe tastes change by disappearing into the images of what those tastes were? For example, 1960s rock-n-roll Beatles fame disappears into the images (those old black and white photos of the Beatles arriving in America)of that fame, which we then reconstruct as suits our taste.

In other words, maybe one doesn't really love Elvis as the original Elvis fans did, but only through the prism of modified (time and) taste.

Best,
Eric
who never appreciated Haydn as the Esterhazys did