[lit-ideas] Re: "Why the Bad Must Always Attack the Good"

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:46:56 -0700

Le 26 juin 05, à 15:44, Eric Yost a écrit :

[snip]

I used Salieri loosely, not in the sense of asserting the truth of the poisoning controversy or Salieri's alleged confession of poisoning and his later alleged suicide. (Pushkin apparently bought into the poisoning theory and wrote the first play about it.) As metaphor, I mentioned Salieri as an example of Cain and Abel, for Salieri was certainly an extremely ambitious person in the realm of Italian opera and did try to thwart Mozart (for whom most forms came easily) on occasion.

MC: Might good and bad be - to *some* extent at any rate - a matter of perspective?

Eric: Sure. Maybe there's nothing more to it than saying "excellence creates envy," but I didn't want to dwell on the issue of what constitutes good versus what constitutes bad--because in the initial spark of this thread we are given Cain and Abel, who by definition represent the "good" sacrifice to the Lord versus the "less than good but adequate" sacrifice to the Lord.

M.C. Perhaps there's room for debate even here. In his great early novel La Modification, Michel Butor identified more with Cain, as the eternal outsider and exile. Irenaeus speaks of a Gnostic sect called the Cainites : their holy writ was the Gospel of Judas.

Mike, you undoubtedly know the Philo allegory better than I do. If we put the question of what constitutes good and bad in brackets, would you concede that there is a tendency for the mediocre to attack the better than mediocre, at least more than vice versa?

M.C. Fascinating question, not least because it changes things a great deal. When one speaks of evil vs. good, the temptation is to hypostatize these entities, to the point where a whole lot of people, including more than one American head of state, actually believe that there are Things out there named Good and Evil respectively : the former is occasionally identified with the USA, the latter with Bin Laden.

Yet how things change when we shift from Good vs. Evil to mediocre vs. Better : no one, I take it, would attempt to hypostatize this latter pair of contraries : perhaps we realize, as innate Aristotelians, that mediocre and better, as mere relatives, have no independent existence, whereas Good and Evil look an awful lot like substances (cf. the Manichaeans)?

Anyhow, is it true that the mediocre attacks the better? Only in a metaphorical sense, since only entities can attack one another, and these two are at best pseudo-entities. Mediocrity tends to prevail at any given time, since, almost by definition, it corresponds to the taste of the majority (have you watched TV or been to a Hollywood movie lately?). The "better" is often declared to be so in retrospect : there is nothing more clichéd than the genius artist (= better), ignored by his contemporaries and considered subordinate to artists we *now* consider mediocre, who several generations later is declared to surpass them to the extent that all memory of the poor schmucks is obliterated. Metaphorically, then, we could say that the mediocre and the better are in constant conflict : the mediocre tends to win battles (= temporary celebrity), the better tends to win the war (= perennial glory).

But is that really any different than to say that tastes change? (this is not a rhetorical question : I really am not sure of the answer).

Best, Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76