[lit-ideas] Re: fill in the blank...

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 20:04:57 -0230

Quoting Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM,  <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I believe we would be quite surprised to find out how many successful
> scholars
> > and artists are also denizens of the eternal deep-freeze, either but in
> their
> > own minds or in the world "out there" or both.
> >
> > Oh well, so long as immortality is attained, who cares about the details?
> >
> > Give me immortality or give me death. Inclusive "or," of course.
> >
> > Walter O.
> > MUN
> >

> There is an interesting, recent movie (documentary) called "Dreams on
> Spec." that basically asks and attempts to answer "why, when the
> chances of success, riches or even notoriety are minimal, do SO many
> people keep writing?"
>
> paul

The question is premised on a somewhat less than flattering conception of human
nature. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie consistently pursues that
conception. But the conception is also, I believe, quite inaccurate - indeed,
most inaccurate with regards to people compelled to write either from a sense
of self and its authenticity or from a passion for truth or both.

Walter O.
MUN