[lit-ideas] Re: failure

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:42:17 -0600 (MDT)

John Wager opineth

One reason fathers may more like "failures" at home than they do at work
may have to do with their openness to being taught.

This is so true it hurts me.

I was laughing with a new father friend of mine about the whole birthing process
and what the father's role in it is supposed to be. Some people say we'll be coaching
our labouring wives which is pretty rich considering labour is a game we've never played
or even seen. Other people say we don't have to DO anything- we just have to "be there
emotionally" which is another way of saying "don't act like you normally would, act like
your wife's best friend, the one you actually don't like very much although she's kinda hot".

Maybe in a generation or two after 30 or 40 years of a culture expecting engagement and
attachment from fathers, parenting won't seem so foreign to men and they'll feel and actually
be better at it. My kids will be changing my diaper by then!

David Savory