[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law in England

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:46:17 +0100 (BST)

Yes, John. Basically, Muslim courts qualify as tribunals. I read, non-Muslims
are increasingly using the Muslim Arbitration Tribunals, which deal, now,
mainly with civil and commercial cases. Apparently they're cheap.

"Under English law there is room to settle disputes on any ground that it is
acceptable to the parties involved, provided it doesn't conflict with English
law ." (Arab Law Association member)

but of course there are concerns about their hearing family law/divorce cases,
only some of which is Islamophobic. One Law for All opposes them and all other
religious courts.

Judy Evans, Cardiff,UK