[lit-ideas] Re: failure

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:53:58 +0100 (BST)

--- On Mon, 11/10/10, cblists@xxxxxxxx <cblists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Dreaming of burning a stack of Murdoch novels in front
> of him ...
>
> What???
>
> This is certainly one of the more intriguing statements I
> have read on this list - do tell more.

Well, the stack is just as much part of the dreaming as the burning. O, and
"The Sea, The Sea" is quite a good title for a book. More?

I'm sure I've dipped into her once or maybe twice (less than Philippa did, I
admit) but cannot plead overfamilarity with her oeuvre. I remain, though,
steadfastly confident it is quite as awful - in its pseudo-intellectual
concerns and narrowminded, 'sophisticated' judgments on others' character and
motives - as it sounds. If my tutors at Oxford are any guide, a lack of
emotional intelligence and psychological insight, plus a misplaced confidence
that one is bursting at the seams with these, is a prerequisite for being a don
- else how could they hold their end up tittle-tattling over a glass of sherry
in the SCR. As a sign:- within a week student friends could all pronounce my
first name correctly, while all the time I was there not one of the fellows
could ever manage this and remained impervious to how it was pronounced by
other students (I guess their defenders would say they knew better than us and
the Irish nation generally). Iris sounds not quite
 the full shilling from what I've read. And it would seem her characters are
drawn from the same deficient stock. Maybe I should be more intrigued?

Like the Murphys I'm not bitter
Judging from a distance
London