[lit-ideas] Re: Why Philosophy. (Was: On Nip Thievery)

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:08:37 -0700

Walter writes, "(No, in a Faculty of Education, be it in Canada, the US, or
some part of the UK, not everyone is from the same planet. Many hail from
"California." That's not necessarily a sublunary, geographical
identification, Lawrence. Of course, what Faculties of Education look like
in Indonesia is one hell of an intriguing question.)"

That strikes me a little like looking at Boeing and pretending it's a
mom-and-pop operation.  I learned years ago that we Californians were
different.  I was the only one in my boot-camp platoon from Californian and
just about everyone of my fellow Marines told me, "there are only two things
that come from California, Queers and hot rods, and I don't see no wheels on
you."  What a misconception that was.  Everyone ultimately derives
everything from California.  You know how areas like China and the Middle
East hate American culture?  Well all that came from California.  It starts
in California, moves to the rest of the country and from there it moves out
into the world.

Canadians especially scoff, but they have good reason.  In the world
rankings of economies, California rated number 8, and Canada rated number 9
in 1991.  http://www.lao.ca.gov/1995/010195_calguide/cgep1.html

By 2005 Canada dropped behind Spain, but California remained number 8:
http://www.ccsce.com/pdf/Numbers_CA_Rank.pdf

Those figures aren't unchallenged, I admit.  The CIA rated us tenth in 2005,
placing Russia and India above us.  I don't know about that, but even the
CIA has us two ahead of Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_California

When I was getting ready to retire, I considered moving to Arizona but was
warned by several people whom I had assumed were my friends, "never move
away from California, because if you do, you'll never be able to afford to
move back."  Well, that veiled threat was enough to whip me back into line,
I can assure you of that.

As to whether California has a unique geographical location, well yes it
does.  There are vast empty regions on either side of us.  Maybe some of you
live in those regions.  Had California been pugnacious like Texas it could
have become and sustained itself as an independent nation, but its goals are
more insidious - wait strike that word . . . "indirect."  We want to
influence the world with our culture.  We want to make everyone like us.
When we see pictures of teenagers in Tokyo, India or France dancing
worshipfully in front of a California-type music, or sitting reverently in
front of a Hollywood movie, we whisper to each other, "it's working."
Andreas and I only pretend to disagree with each other so no one will notice
that we are slowly taking over the world. Well, that's not completely true,
because after we take over the world we are going to have to see whether the
capital remains in Sacramento or moves to its rightful place in Los Angeles;
so it isn't as though Andreas and I are ever going to be real close. . .

. . . I'm not really writing this, am I Franz?  We mustn't let the secret
out . . no one must know . . . where did you put my medication, you Austrian
fiend?

Lawre . . .