[lit-ideas] Re: Whose Trained? Horses Are Trained

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 08:22:27 -0500

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

Who's trained in philosophy. Having now read the books by R. S. Peters, I've come to realise that 'training' is a bad Americanistic idiom, sometimes used in England too. The first 'training colleges' were horsemanship clubs -- and who got trained where 'horses', never people. Then there's military training camps, which train soldiers, etc. But PHILOSOPHIA as Plato conceived it in the Academus grove (if not Aristotle, the money-collector, in the Lykaeon) was _never_ conceived as having ANYTHING to do with 'training'.

Unfortunately, there _IS_ training in philosophy. Anybody who has taken graduate level coursework in philosophy has been trained, whether they like the idea or not. And also, unfortunately, it's not just an American problem; I expect that the Brtits are better at training in philosophy than the Yanks.

How about a more neutral term--"Discipline?"

Each "discipline" in college DOES have its own vocabulary, its own history, its own authorities. Philosophy included. But a "discipline" is also a way to approach problems. Give a short story or a case study or an artifact to an anthropologist or a chemist or a philosopher and you will get quite different results because they start from different approaches.

Singers are trained. Dancers are trained. Philosophers (or wizards of love, as I prefer) cannot and will not be trained -- less so by _other_ OLDER wizards of love.

Unlike most other "disciplines," the way philosophers are taught to approach a problem is to immediately try to think of a way to see some different perspective on it, see how it connects up with other seemingly unrelated problems, and try to look at as large a picture of the issues as possible. This is still a "discipline," no?

My favorite way of explaining this is to students is to have a team taught class with psychology and philosophy where the two teachers discuss the first chapter of any psychology text. The psychologist wants to get on with things, to skim over the first chapter as quickly as possible, assuming that the issues there can be dealt with in order to get into doing actual research. The philosopher wants to stop and really examine these basic assumptions because if one skips that step, all the research in the world may be based on entirely inadequate grounds.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA