[lit-ideas] Re: Whose Trained? Horses Are Trained

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 08:46:02 -0500

It seems to me that philosophical training (if it can be said to exist when JL doesn't believe in it) can consist only of learning the words. But in the right hands and hearts, that extension of vocabulary and the thinking that is required to make it ones own can be immensely empowering. Ursula, playing with the words in the rain in North Bay

Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
Who's trained in philosophy. Having now read the books by R. S. Peters, I've come to realise that 'training' is a bad Americanistic idiom, sometimes used in England too. The first 'training colleges' were horsemanship clubs -- and who got trained where 'horses', never people. Then there's military training camps, which train soldiers, etc. But PHILOSOPHIA as Plato conceived it in the Academus grove (if not Aristotle, the money-collector, in the Lykaeon) was _never_ conceived as having ANYTHING to do with 'training'. Singers are trained. Dancers are trained. Philosophers (or wizards of love, as I prefer) cannot and will not be trained -- less so by _other_ OLDER wizards of love. If Geary doesn't know what Walter means by his escapade, "a human being is a character disposition", that's not because Geary lacks training -- which nobody gets anyway. it's because Walter is not brave enough that he does NOT believe in human beings, which is sad assuming he is one, or even not. Cheers,