[lit-ideas] The Importance of Being Dorian

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:26:24 EDT

Geary writes:

>"I'm not sure what that  means. I'm not trained in philosophy."

Who's trained? Recall that for the Greeks, who _invented_ philosophy, only
little 'kids' (kuroi, paides, they called them) could be _trained_ and that
only  up to their 'coming of age' (at 16 years old). The Greeks were very
strict
about  that, and the coming of age had nothing to do with the current American
 obsession with heterosexual rites of passage (dating and getting your
driving  license card, or even getting married).  It just meant that the
'kuros' or
'pais' _grew a beard_. Once the former 'kuros' needed to _shave_ to get rid
of  the beard, he was _passed_ training. He was _trained_.

A problem of Greek Ethics, as Symonds notes (in his famous "A problem of
Greek Ethics") is that girls (kurai) don't necessarily grow a beard till much
much later (cf. Sapho). For radicals like Plato, this meant that they could
never be _trained_ (rather than that they should be _trained_ for ever and a
day).

In America, there are such things as Horse Training Institutes, and Teacher
Training Institutes. This bad use of 'train' travelled to England. But there
(with 'teacher' if not 'horse', 'train' is a misnomer for 'educate'. Only
Teaching Teaching Institute would sound redundant.

So, my dear untrained philosopher, have a Happy Halloween,

Cheers,

J. L.

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town: