[lit-ideas] Re: The Importance of Being Dorian

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:16:52 -0500

JL:
>>A problem of Greek Ethics, as Symonds notes (in his famous "A problem of
>>Greek Ethics") is that girls (kurai) don't necessarily grow a beard till much
>>much later (cf. Sapho). For radicals like Plato, this meant that they could
>>never be _trained_ (rather than that they should be _trained_ for ever and a
>>day).<<

So why do they call it a "training" bra?  Is it the girl being trained or the
budding breasts?  I had always assumed the latter, and like Phillip Roth I've
always been jealous of women's bodies and decided at age 10 to wear a training
bra hoping I would develop melon breasts.  But no, after 10 years of wearing
the damn thing I was still as flat as Kansas.  It did "educate" me into the
cruelties of men, however, especially in the locker room when I'd be gearing up
for a game and would put my shoulder pads over my training bra.  Oh, the
guffaws I've endured!

Welcome back, guy, hope you stay awhile,
Mike Geary
Founder and Director of the Memphis Metaphysical Ministry
"We turn doubt into redoubt without fallout.  Check us out."