[lit-ideas] Re: Where politics hits the grass

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:51:56 -0600

I'm a little surprised.  What on earth motivates you to continue to feel
badly for the monsters that destroy and deplete this entirely screwed up
planet of ours?  There are times, Irene, whether I wonder why you wouldn't
rather see the entire thing go up in a mushroom cloud.

Of course, it's hard to measure reality against either Edenic idealism or
catastrophic nihilism.

If people are so little worth saving, so awful, so irredeemable, why does
the experience and trajectory people trouble you so much?

Either you care or you don't .... if we're monsters, you can stop being
upset about it.  If we aren't, then we aren't.

You seem to see things in very chiaroscuro tones.  If humanity does not
follow the behaviours you believe best for the planet, for vegetable growth,
for animal life, for human children, there's no point to it.

If humanity has areas that behave in ways you perceive as good, it's a waste
of effort or thought, because humanity, the planet are too far gone.

I almost think you don't want there to be anything good or redemptive or
positive....  it would perhaps be an affront in some way to your basic
philosophy, your basic view of the world.  I have known a few people for
whom a sense of impending doom and despair keep their lives worth living.
But I don't think you're one of them.

I don't know how to understand it.  I keep trying -- and I will keep trying
... because the best thing I know to do about being human is to try to learn
to think in ways I am not accustomed to.

--
Julie Krueger