[lit-ideas] Re: What's happening in Japan

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:51:11 -0400

A.A.  Clearly the Japanese have no concept of family beyond baby making.
From my relatively limited understanding of Japanese culture, I'm picking
up that today's Japanese "youth" tend more and more to live at home with
their parents.  If one defines adulthood by the process of leaving the
family nest, then many of today's Japanese adults are still children,
living in the original family home.  Some of the same phenomenon is also
going on in the U.S.  In the U.S. the desire to stay in the family home
well into the 20's is apparently driven by our overall declining standard
of living.  Buying a home is prohibitive for first time home buyers, for
example, and two incomes are all but mandatory.  A little aside related to
this, and probably not news to most people on this list, is that life
expectancy in the U.S. has reversed itself.  People born today have a lower
life expectancy than Americans born in the 50's and 60's, even when
sophisticated medical intervention is factored in.  The lowered life
expectancy is driven by the high obesity rates at earlier ages. Americans
are also marrying later.  At the moment we're riding on our baby boomlet of
the 70's and 80's and our high illegal immigration rates and their tendency
toward large families.

Regarding families, most of the world's concept of family doesn't rise much
beyond baby making and iron fisted control by males.  I would argue that
there is a wisdom in not bringing children into the world that one isn't
committed to.  It's hard for me to see how cracking the whip and forcing
unwanted children into the world will serve Japan or any country in any
positive long term sense.

Andy Amago