[lit-ideas] Re: What, then, is wanting to know?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:50:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----

Actually, technicalities and Muses apart, erotic is associated with the flesh.
The beloved of Shakespeare's sonnet is quite of this earth, and the motivation
of Shakespeare's writing those sonnets is to sway that teenager, Earl of ??
(can't remember) to marry.  In the process of writing the sonnets, Shakespeare,
easily ten years the Earl of ??'s senior, fell in love with him and I think
they were lovers.  (Shakespeare actually hated his wife.)  So, yes, Shakespeare
most certainly put his pants on one leg at a time.  When people speak of erotic
and Eros, they hardly have the forms in mind.  Erotic has to do with sex.

I would be interested in why you think sex is so obsessed over and so
overblown.  Why do maturation stories virtually always revolve around sexual
maturation?  Why are verbal ejaculations (pun intended) that involve sex always
considered the worst?  That sucks; fuck you, etc. etc.  When Andreas posted
that beautiful Christmas card by Eric Idle, I thought, gee, this is beautiful,
and no sex, so it is possible.  Sex is also associated with violence.
Circumcision, male in the West and female in Islam, what's the point?  Why
don't people cut off a piece of the ear so they can hear less?  Instead, sex is
so, what's the word, mysterious, powerful, dangerous, whatever, that males lose
30% of their sexual tissue and females even worse.  Where is the vaunted human
spirituality in this?

>Or just as well, the great movie, Groundhog Day, where an erotic
>obsession, pursued in a day that constantly repeats, leads the character
>from a coarse and selfish view to a truer understanding of himself, his
>community, and his beloved.

Naturally, it has to be a sexual experience that brings the character
enlightenment.  Why not some other thing?  Are humans that simple minded?
Clearly they are.

>If Satan is the "spirit that denies," eros is the spirit that affirms.
>Like the Greek myth or the Mann story, one doesn't want to look that
>force in the face; otherwise one gets the dark obsessions you describe
>above.

See above, eros has nothing to do with spirit.  Guns and butter, guns or
butter, and, of course, happiness is a warm gun ...  Missiles are shaped like
penises.  Eros is a spirit the way a leprechaun is a spirit.  It does not exist
in real life.