[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:21:33 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2005 11:01:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The  critical, and therefore negative, quality of the doubting self appears
to  us as an attack on our faith, which can alone keep us whole. When  the
unfaithful self is projected onto external objects, the aggression  we
attribute to it becomes their aggression directed at us, their desire  to
destroy our faith.  We must now mobilize aggression to protect  ourselves
against the infidel, notwithstanding the fact that the threat he  poses is
the threat of connection with our own split off and disavowed  faithless
selves. ..."

Utter nonsense!  How can there be  faith without either the critical or
doubt?  And the move from  'projected' to 'split off and disavowed' is a
howler.  I marvel that  there are people who still take this psychoanalysis
nonsense  seriously.

Hey!

I don't necessarily take (that) psychoanalysis nonsense seriously, but  there
are aspects of psychoanalysis which does have some merit.

I do agree that what was written was poorly written. I ended up re-writing
it as I was reading it so it probably made a bit more sense to me.  I could
try to translate <g> but if you are unfamiliar with the 'kick the dog
syndrome', it would not make much sense unless THAT analogy was explained.

and, after working hard *not* to kick the dog (who has made me
cranky--rather, his behavior has and not any projection of my day onto him--I
did do some
inside 'work' to make sure of that before allowing myself the gift  of being
cranky...), the analogy has been in my mind.

'Course, I'm often thinking that Others On Our List are merely projections
of various aspects of our personalities (and some of which aspects are
difficult to accept so we get cross [not cranky] and that *could* lead to
aggression
if we didn't have other aspects of our personality (like Judy  and Robert
Paul) to be our Voice of Reason aspects of our personality.

 Now, I better go check on other aspects of my inner health and  well-being
before responding to one of Mike's posts about me and illegal stuff  [cause he
misunderstood me--probably projecting all sorts of things onto  me--probably
cause he felt cranky, too. Except I don't think he has a  dog...],

Marlena in Missouri