[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:24:31 EDT

<<'Colorless green ideas sleep furiously,'  >>
If this line wasn't in the  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it should have
been.
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Violence as
Destruction of Doubt  Date: 9/15/05 5:07:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_robert.paul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Andy Amago wrote:

> Okay, then, explain  it in a sensible way.

Explain what? Are you asking me to make sense out  of gibberish or are
you asking me to 'explain' the toleration of the infidel  and the
destruction of doubt? But before I try to do that, it would help if  I
knew what would count as an answer to your request. The post in question
does not make sense at the level of plain English; whether one believes
in the unconscious as an entity or in unconscious mental processes is
irrelevant to the simple question: what does the post in question
_mean_? If I believe that 'The Absolute drinks Propinquity,' or
'Colorless green ideas sleep furiously,' are meaningless, it's not
incumbent on me to say what they really mean (for I believe they mean
nothing) or to give my own explanation of some incoherent state of  affairs.

Help me out here. Anything that can be said can be said clearly.  Can you
paraphrase what our contributor is saying (claiming, explaining)?  Can
you say what the question he's purporting to answer is?

Robert  Paul
Reed  College