[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:21:19 -0400

A.A. We crossed in the mail.  I explained those paragraphs in plain
English.

 the one in
> which he says that he's read a lot of philosophy that appears senseless,
> etc. However, I do remember his saying that, and it is no response at
> all, but an instance of the following bad argument.

A.A. I never said I read a lot of it, just that a lot of what I read was
indecipherable.  I don' t do indecipherable.

> Some philosophers revel in nonsense.
> Paul is a philosopher.
> Therefore, Paul revels in nonsense.
> A lot of philosophy is indecipherable.

A.A. If you insist.  You're twisting my point, which is that you, as a
philosopher, specialize in abstractions.  That's not a put down, trust me.

> So, that I'm a philosopher doesn't mean that I must defend the writings
> and rantings of philosophers always and everywhere. (I did say that
> whatever can be said can be said clearly, but let it pass, let it pass.)

A.A. Clarity is not philosophy's strongest point.

> And I'm no friend of abstractions, unless they can be taken apart in
> such a way that one can pick out instances of them in the real world.

A.A. I did that in my post prior to this one.

My
> instinctive nominalism leads me to suspect the (Socratic/Platonic) idea
> that there must be a substance answering to every substantive. That
> there are purposive mental processes which take place without our being
> aware of them?trying to remember a name or phrase in the evening, and
> finding it 'in one's mind' immediately upon waking the next morning,
> e.g.?I have no doubt.

A.A. We're agreed then.

That there are actual things answering to the name
> 'ego,' 'id,' etc. I have all the doubt in the world.

A.A.  Freudianisms are passe for the most part.  It's funny though.  The
older I get the more I think the id is what I term war genes.  That certain
something that predisposes people to violence.  And with that, I'm off to
bed.

Andy Amago