[lit-ideas] Re: Tropeing along, singing a song

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:59:48 -0600

WO:

The last time I was at Hemingway's in T.O, I spent a long
night with some profs and students discussing the difference between
synechdoche and metonomy (sp?)...
Could anybody explain this
fine distinction to a non-literary kind of guy?

I was in Hemingways once while visiting Toronto and was dragged there by I won't say who (or is it whom? -- no, who -- unless it's whom). But I didn't get into any metonymy vs. synecdoche discussions that I can remember. Thank God. At least thank God I don't remember doing so. So anyway, synecdoche is a part for the whole as in "all hands on board", meaning the sailors who have hands -- non-handed ones need board. Metonymy is the container for the thing contained, like in "lend me your ears" ears isn't a part for the whole person, it's that the whole of all that is associated with what ears "do". But I find that a rather precious distinction. I call 'em all tropes. Give 'em enough trope to hang themselves, I say.

"Thurber recalled that he lay awake that night trying to find an example of the reverse idea and came up with an image of an angry wife about to bash hubby over the head with a bottle of Grade A, saying "Get away from me or I'll hit you with the milk". That's metonymy all right, but you can argue it's also synecdoche, because milk is an essential component part of a bottle of milk, not just something associated with it."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-syn1.htm

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>