[lit-ideas] Re: clashes of civilizations-Civil War

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:47:05 -0500

This is euphemism.  Nobody wants to believe anyone really supported slavery.
They supported states' rights [to own slaves] thank you very much.  I've never
read that the South did its best to get rid of slavery.

BTW, I didn't understand that thing on the NSA.  Was that intended to be funny,
serious?  Meth is everywhere, literally.  It's especially prevalent in rural
areas (Newsweek).  The ingredients are coming in from Mexico and China,
obviously not legally.  I wonder sometimes if that's not a form of terrorism.
It wasn't thought of as terrorism back then, but the West did it to China in
addicting people to opium.  That's a personal opinion.  I didn't read it
anywhere.  More likely it's like what the mob did to Black Americans in Harlem
and other places in the 30's and 40's.  Addicted them for profit.  Like it
didn't come back and haunt White Americans.

Off the subject, Google and Yahoo and MS buckling under to the Chinese
government for short term shareholder profits assumes that they will always be
the preeminent computing force over there.  They don't realize that at some
point the Chinese won't need them and will just kick them out.  That's like
American car companies going to Japan in the 60's with their American
technology, until the Japanese did it better and beat them at their own game.