[lit-ideas] Re: The Surgical Strike Option

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:01:04 -0800

I just did.  Did you miss it?

Kant's Categorical Imperative urged us to act upon maxims which can be
accepted as universal laws of nature.  If someone argues that we ought not
to bomb Iran's nuclear sites because we might at the same time harm
moms/dads/little kids, then if this is treated as a categorical Imperative
we should be able to apply it to all such bombings.

I don't think Marlena intended the moms/dads/little kids to be a show
stopper, but then why throw it out there?  Our purpose is to war upon
enemies when we deem it absolutely necessary.  We seek to engage in just
wars.  We seek to minimize collateral damage.

Lawrence