[lit-ideas] Re: The Surgical Strike Option and the Missing Sponge

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:57:01 -0800

Actually I like writing novels as well.  I resolved to write a novel a year
after I retired and got everything organized in my new house.  Prior to that
time, while I was still in Aerospace, I concentrated more on poetry.  I have
written 5 novels and am bogged down a bit on the 6th after 75,000 words.  I
decided to spend some time (after finishing the 6th, editing them in 2006.
But before that I decided to engage in a little procrastination by seeing
what was going on at Lit-Ideas.

Also even when I'm on a roll with my writing I can't do it for more than a
few hours without switching to something else - so I take my dogs for a run
at the river - come back, get in the tub and read a good history.

What I've read indicates that we have been very successful at almost
everything we've taken on in terms of foreign affairs, wars, nation building
etc.  And in recent times, the historian Gaddis, sees Bush as introducing
the 3rd or 4th grand strategy in American history, that of preemption to
deal with paramilitary organizations and democratic nation building process
as a means of decreasing the threat of Militant Islamism.

As I quoted, the head of Iran's Pasdaran recognizes that the success or
failure of democracy in Iran is crucial in the war against Islamism.  If the
Bush strategy in Iraq works, then democracy may spread, which is something
Iran leadership fears.  Islamist paramilitary organizations fear it as well
and have been beefing up the insurgency with their help.

The criticality of democracy in Iraq is probably clear to all concerned.
Our enemies work toward undermining it.  Our friends attempt to facilitate
it.

Weigh in wherever you like - except perhaps in Germany.  Did you read about
the Germans who helped Iran in their pursuit of nuclear weapons?  They're
probably going to be tried for treason.

Lawrence

  _____