[lit-ideas] Re: Translation Problem

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:27:57 -0500

"Grammar surely begins at home."

For sure.  So does vocabulary.  So does accent, and so do the twistings and
twitterings  of terms of expression.  So home grown is language that it is
the perfect tool for guaging class.  And a basis for making judgments of
"clear thinking" and "intelligence".

Long, long ago, in a galaxy right here, I heard a debate between an Oxford
team and a Harvard team over the topic "Is the decline of Western
Civilization at hand?"  This was probably 1969?  The only thing I remember
from that debate was the Brit who said in reference to the efficacy of
democracy's ability reflect the will of the people: "Lyndon Johnson turned
his back on the American people and said: "I have the people behind me."

The Harvard Boys won the debate, but the Brits won my admiration.  Humor
carries more truth within itself than truth can bear.

Mike Geary
Memphis