[lit-ideas] Re: Translation Problem

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:03:43 -0500

I overheard my 18 yr old (one of my daughters is a little academician --
this one would rather paint, weld, and live outside) say "Me and Jimmy went
to the movies..."  I corrected her when she was off the phone and she said,
it doesn't matter, it's just the same, like saying the glass is blue or the
blue glass".  I attempted to explain to her the difference between the way
English modifies nouns (we use modifiers both before and after the noun) and
the way we use pronouns -- asked her if she would say "Me went to a movie".
 She interrupted me and said with a heavy sigh, "MOM, nobody talks that way
anymore except old people."

Yes, I taught my daughters ALOT of grammar during their growing up years.
 My older daughter uses English very accurately and well.  THIS one....well,
it just didn't take because she's not a word person and it simply doesn't
matter to her.  I suspect she represents the vast number of teenagers out
there.  Apparently the school system didn't even address grammar.

I feel like Ish in Earth Abides...

Julie Krueger