[lit-ideas] Re: Translation Problem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:22:35 -0700

On Sep 15, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Julie Krueger wrote:

> Perhaps someone might start with translating it into English...
>
> Julie Krueger
>

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> For those of you who are stuck for a Sunday evening task, why not try
> translating this sentence into a different language.  It's from the BBC
> website's description of a rugby match.  "Good sides take disappointment on
> the chin and they front up up next week."
>
> David Ritchie,
> preparing for the morrow in
> Portland, Oregon

Indeed.  The web tells me that "front up" means either "to appear somewhere for
a short time" [Australian meaning] or to "advance cash for something"
[international].  But there's a line of rugby clothing that uses the phrase and
the Telegraph uses the phrase thus:
Miguel Angel Jimenez to hit first shot of Vivendi Seve Trophy as Europe and
Great Britain and Ireland front up

My guess is that the equivalent phrase here is "man up."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon