[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:19:37 -0500

Marlena: wonder how the people here would
react were someone like Bush to decide that he didn't want our own People
to be
in charge of our lives.

He has already decided that and acted on it.  He allows corporate and
environmental predators to have the upper hand.  He is taking away what
little reproductive rights women had.  He is causing terrible economic
situations by tax cuts which force states like mine, Michigan, to cut
education, Medicaid, etc. etc.  Our legislature is a wholly owned
subsidiary of Right to Life, Catholic values crew.  The governor is a
Democrat who inherited a billion dollar deficit from the previous
Republican governor of eight years.  She is now contemplating cutting more
out of medical care for the working poor and indigent and cutting yet more
out of education budgets from kindergarten through university.
We lose hundreds of thousands of jobs to everywhere else in the world.  In
this part of the country, we are becoming a third world nation.

There was an article in the local paper about how this state used to be
among the leaders in all these areas.  Now we are right there with Alabama,
one of the most backward southern states in the US.  Appalling.

In the budget bill, yes, you read it right, the budget bill, the
Republicans in the Congress inserted an amendment so that health care
workers, pharmacists, physicians, etc. no longer had to give or fill
prescriptions or give information on birth control.  It was removed, but
wait until the next Congress convenes.

Veronica

Bush
> supporter  across the street who just informed me of the conflict in her
household
> about  money and how she is going to go back to work even though she has
two
> little  ones and they are still convinced that Bush cares enough for them
and
> conservative family values so the disconnect over her having to do so
since the
>  finances have shifted n the past 2 years to cause this...(I am kind of
tired
> of  being the marriage counselor, can you tell?  I was tonight, too, for
> another family, as well...though they didn't vote for Bush--they voted
for no
> one.  Like that helped anyone...)
>
> I have thought, for a long time, that the US ought to stay until things
are
> 'okay' in Iraq since we de-stabilized the whole country and destroyed
what
> infrastructure they DID have.
>
> I am not so sure, any longer.
>
> I think of how generous the US and Other nations are in *forgiving*
> debt--debt caused because we lent Saddam Hussein $$ for weapons... has
nothing  to do
> with the $$ that will be needed to repair the damage done which has been
done
> by US (and other) troops.
>
> The 'selfish' part of me understands that we need to control the region
and
> the oil in order for our own people to have what we want.  The part of me

> which aches with the Other is in dismay.
>
> I also know from talking to siblings and others in the military and
> industrial military complex that the dehumanizing of the Iraqi people is
practically
> complete.  It scares me.  I cannot completely join  them--just trying to,
> though, in order to try to stem the frustration is an  exercise which is
rather
> horrific.  Oh, well, right?  Most of us are  not affected and will never
be.
> But...my heart breaks, nevertheless.   I think of what if it were me and
Ben...