[lit-ideas] Re: The winner has already been selected?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:38:01 -0800

Wow.  Good note Phil.  You almost have me convinced in regard to Iraqi
democracy.  I hope you are right.  The problem as I see it is that Shias and
Sunnis have a tradition of not cooperating.  For hundreds of years they have
chosen to settle their differences with the sword.  Were we to leave now, I
have little doubt that a civil war would soon follow.  Perhaps they will
behave themselves as long as our 800-pound gorilla is sitting nearby, but
the ideas of Democracy, freedom, pluralism, etc are Western.  Will the
Iraqis be able to compromise their beliefs in such a way as to allow their
democracy to work?  I hope so, but I tend to think Andreas' take on this is
the most likely one.

I misunderstood your sarcasm about France and Germany as well.

I do agree with what you say about Bush being elected on a platform of not
Nation Building, but the Neocon position is counter to that.  There is a
Wilsonian ideal behind this Neocon idea.  It seems a good thing to export or
brand of democracy, but I think Bush has had his fill of that for awhile.
If someone in his administration is urging him to intervene militarily in
Iran or Syria, I would bet he is resisting the idea.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto