[lit-ideas] Re: [Bulk] FW: Canadian Immigration Crisis

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:27:51 -0500

My husband and I looked into immigration to Canada.  What we discovered was
that it was necessary to be young, have a skill that is needed in Canada at
this time, be fabulously wealthy, or be willing to live in the Yukon.
Really.  The Yukon.  I guess all immigrants to Canada want to live in the
cities, putting great stress on educational and other resources.

We found this surprising as we have no children to educate anymore, would
help the Canadian economy and we would be bringing at least some of our own
health care.

We also found out that to get Medicare benefits, one has to live in the US.
I am almost certain that years ago they allowed payments to Americans in
Ontario and Mexico if they retired there.

We talked to a real estate agent who told us that she had an old Lebanese
lady who came to Canada from the US three years ago.  Her husband died,
only living relative is a sister and brother-in-law in Canada.  She is
still waiting to hear from immigration if they will let her stay.  She also
brought her own health care and income with her.  The real estate agent
couldn't make any sense of it.

Veronica